Sunday, October 12, 2008

Egg Rings are the Work of Satan

Sometimes I think technology gets it wrong. I was confronted with this awful truth when I was frying up eggs this morning. I am a free range, free flowing egg user. I love cracking the egg on the edge of the frypan and watching the egg spread out over the bottom in a freeform shape. I love the skill it takes getting egg to plate without it breaking. I can enjoy my morning meal comforted in the knowledge that I am a great cook and I have the egg wrangling skills to prove it. The one thing that jars this morning ritual, is my family's insistence on the use of the egg ring. For some reason known only to them (and whomever it was that created that horrid thing) Fried eggs have to be perfectly circular. They don't cook right, you can't get the horrid things off, and they just make the whole thing look wrong.

Make my life easier by science please. But don't mess with my food. Leave my eggs free form, I don't want square watermelons, and please, keep the melon baller far, far away from me.

7 comments:

Shadraelle said...

I whole heartedly agree... please blame the fast food industry and their little round rolls. As for mellon ballers I am sure some "inspired" person origionally used thier icecream scoop... good for icecream bad for bits of mellon. ;)

Martine said...

I blame the Egyptians for the melon baller. I have a theory that during the Victorian Era, when any one who was anyone was breaking into tombs for the loot err archaeological finds, they came across these instruments and decided they were a kitchen utensil and not something left over from the whole embalming thing.

Dizzy G said...

If you think egg rings are evil, try bike pants, I believe they are Satans most diabolical plan yet. They are quite similar to a train wreck in that you don't wanna stare but you just keep glancing back and are traumatised each time.
Whats worse is people in bike pants think they are the bees knees and where them as much as possible.

Bibphil said...

Egg rings are not for fried eggs! Your family I am sorry to say is suffering from some obscure delusion there. They were invented for poached eggs which are cooked in simmering water. You can see that the rings are really useful there otherwise you can end up with 20cm wide sloppy eggs. Alternatively you can add vinegar but a dash too much and you are eating pickled egg

Richard Atherton said...

Bollocks to that Bibphil. Her family is neither suffering nor delusional. Egg rings were invented to stop the spread of eggs across the surface of a grill plate during frying. They were first used in large scale and commercial kitchens for the sake of efficiency when cooking multiple orders of fried eggs (for hotel breakfasts for e.g.). The utensil invented for efficiently containing eggs during the poaching process was the egg coddler, not the egg ring.

Anonymous said...

hello ppl. I'm actually into shoes and I was searching as far as something that exact make. The prices seeking the shoes were about 230 pounds everwhere. But completely I bring about this area selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order these. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

good evening friends. I'm honestly into shoes and I had been digging for that exact model. The prices for the velcros are all over 250 bucks everwhere. But for all I bring about this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy those. what can you say about it?